SPRING TRIP — It’s time to travel south! I encourage all students and parents to read the handbook before we leave for South Padre. I would also like to add some reminders and tips for packing. First off, check the weather forecast. As of now, it looks like warm temps but a possibility of rain on Sunday.
* If you think you might get motion sick on a boat, pack motion sickness medication or apparently, dill pickles are also a remedy for sea sickness.
* The restaurants we will be eating at aren’t fancy, but don’t only pack shorts, t-shirts and swimsuits. A pair of jeans might be smart in case of bad weather.
* The bus ride is very long. I would suggest snacks and water bottles. The chaperone’s will bring as many bottled waters as possible, but it would be smart to get a six-pack of waters for the bus and/or hotel. Also, the bus can be cold, be prepared.
* Don’t forget a phone charger!
* Double check your instrument! Do you have reeds, mutes, music, mallets, etc.
* Students will be given 3 luggage tags at check-in. One must go on the big bag, one on the instrument case and the last can go on the carry-on bag.
TEXT PROGRAM — With all the events coming up this spring, including the trip, more and more info will be sent via the text system. If you haven’t already signed up for 90210, please do so. Just send a text to 90210 and type “lamar band” in the message. You will then be signed up to receive occasional texts from the band directors.
BYOT — The district has started a “Bring Your Own Technology” to school policy. Students that turn in a signed form will get a sticker to attach to their ID allowing them to use their technology at appropriate times. We would like all band students with iPhones to download the free “Charms” app. It is a very handy way to record their assignments, check the assignment folders and many other features. The band staff also encourages all band students with smart phones to download a metronome & tuner app. We STRONGLY encourage the “Tonal Energy” app. This is an amazing innovation that band directors across the state have adopted. See it here…http://tonalenergy.com/
* Thursday 4/25 3:00-4:30 Jazz 2 rehearsal (ALL jazz 2 students)
* Thursday 4/25 5:30-6:30 SB/CB FINAL trip band rehearsal
* Thursday 4/25 6:30pm SOUTH PADRE LUGGAGE CHECK!
* Friday 4/26 4:00AM Depart on the spring trip
* Wednesday 5/1 3:00-5:00 Leadership Candidate quiz/practice
* Thursday 5/2 7:00pm Viking Thunder! (Spring percussion concert)